Tuesday, December 27, 2011

2011: The Year in Review

This has, without a doubt, been one of the craziest years my family and I have ever experienced, so it seems like a good idea to briefly recall all that has occurred...
 
 
In December of 2010, I was told (with everyone at my school) that positions would be cut for the budget. I had a feeling it would be me, so in January, Rob and I listed our house expecting a long wait for a buyer. In February, we received the news that my job was indeed no longer, and an offer on our home. By the end of February, I had applied for every teaching position I could find both near and far (including some place called Abu Dhabi that I vaguely recalled from my high school social studies class). By March, I had interviewed, been offered, and accepted a position to teach in the UAE, and began the paperwork circuit required to move a family overseas. Our house closed in May, and we moved into a 2 bedroom apartment (thank you, Heidi!) for the remainder of our time on US soil. My soon to be former colleagues threw me an amazing "pink slip" party (see this blog). In June, I broke my wrist from a fall in my creative writing class, watched my last class of Woodsville High School seniors graduate, and joined the ranks of the unemployed. Three days before I flew overseas, my birth mother died, and in August, I boarded a plane to the other side of the world.

I spent a month preparing for my family to join me, and in September, all the Littleton Tylers had a new address in Al Ain, the oasis city in the desert. For the last few months we've been settling in, playing tourist, attending concerts (Metallica and Britney Spears - yeah, a weird combination), celebrating a nation's 40th birthday, and learning about a new culture. We're ending the year in a new home (rented, but ours), with a new car, in a new country and are going to ring in the new year at a Coldplay concert in Abu Dhabi (the city). We've been making friends, and staying in touch with all our friends and family at home. We are truly blessed with all the support we've received in the past year that helped us survive all the ups and downs. Thank you for being there. We couldn't have made it through 2011 without you.


I don't know what 2012 holds for us, but 2011 is going out on a higher note than 2010 did, which I think bodes well for us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope I will have the courage for the changes coming in my life this 2012, as you showed for all the changes in yours. I hope my house will sell as quickly as yours as it will be up for sale March 1st. After 20 years in this house it will be hard to say goodbye and while I will not be going across the world it is still daunting not to know where I will be goin. I hope I will show the strength you have.

Jasmine said...

Chris,
Wow, I didn't know you were selling your house. I think once you retire, you are going to be amazed that you ever found the time to work... You will have so much time to lavish on yourself, your children, and those beautiful grandbabies. :)

Thank you for thinking of me as courageous (because most days I think I am more Cowardly Lion). Miss you, my friend.